DIRECTOR OF FINANCIAL REPORTING, PLANNING AND ANALYSIS
Nixon is California’s iconic watch and accessories brand, born from action sports culture and always pushing the never been done. As a company we are creative, we are ambitious, we take risks. Above all, we want to build great product with the world’s youth as our audience. We collaborate with the best in the business: brands, athletes, retailers, causes. People who share our mindset and our belief that we can make an impact, one detail at a time.
The Director of Financial Reporting, Planning and Analysis is responsible for leading financial planning, accounting, reporting and analysis used for strategic and tactical decision-making. The role reports to the Chief Financial Officer and partners with the Executive Team and other global senior level managers to interpret and implement financial processes, reporting and analysis related to strategic planning, budgeting, and forecasting. The Director of Financial Reporting, Planning and Analysis will lead the accounting, reporting and financial planning functions and be responsible for recommending IT systems improvements, recommending and implementing accounting process improvements and accounting staff management to produce high-quality accounting, reporting and analysis in an efficient, accurate and timely manner.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Contributes to company strategy and planning as it relates to driving business value through cost containment, process and profitability improvement
- Develops, analyzes and reports on key performance indicators measuring the financial health of the organization. Advises management of variances, risks and opportunities
- Analyzes actual operating results throughout the year as compared to budget and forecast performance
- Monitor financial statement close activities for business segment including the review of journal entries, monthly account analyses and reconciliations to ensure the production of timely and accurate financial statements
- On a weekly basis, ensure accurate, complete and timely rolling 26-week and 52-week Cash Flow projections
- Operates as a business partner and consultant to functional business leaders supporting the continuous development of their financial discipline, enhancement of financial business acumen, and ensuring fiscal performance alignment with plans and priorities. This includes collaboration with non-finance personnel to further understanding of financial impact of business decisions and related processes
- Work closely with the product development and management teams to ensure inventory and cost objectives are met on an ongoing basis
- Develops financial models that assist management in understanding the financial impact of business decisions
- Partners with the Sales & Marketing leadership to gain detailed financial insight into channel and product line profitability.
- Prepares cost and profitability analyses and assists in the development of pricing models for new and existing practices
- Builds, implements and continuously refines a financial delivery model, tailored to stakeholder needs, including functional business leaders, Finance leadership, and the Executive Team. This encompasses accounting and financial reporting processes, improvements and documentation, budgeting and forecasting, IT system enhancements
- Conducts monthly revenue, cost of goods sold, marketing and operating expense reviews with functional leaders to identify trends in variances from budget and forecasts, cost savings, and organizational optimization opportunities. Uses feedback to adjust budget, forecasts and financial models as appropriate.
- Develops annual revenue and cost estimates for use in the annual budget and quarterly forecasts
- Partner with the Sales & Marketing Management to gain detailed financial insight into channel and product line profitability
- Apply financial and operational data analysis to draw conclusions and create recommendations on decisions and actions
- Analyze cause & effect relationships in a problem and develop resolution alternatives
- Communicate effectively with senior management and partners throughout the firm to develop and monitor key financial statistics
- Monitors financial trends and budgeted/forecasted revenues and expenditures to ensure responsibility and control
- Maintain internal control system, proactively assess and recommend areas for improvement financially and operationally, and develop, streamline and implement new accounting policies and procedures as needed.
- Respond to special requests for financial data and analyses and for information on current and proposed projects and programs
- Other duties as may be assigned to support business needs
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
This position works in partnership with the accounting department encompassing the functional areas of accounts payable, accounts receivable, general ledger accounting, financial reporting and financial planning & analysis. Additionally, the position interacts with all cross-functional areas of Nixon and requires communication, collaboration and relationship-building skills with internal US and global stake holders. Key interfaces within finance are, CFO, accounting manager and staff. Key interfaces throughout the organization include the Nixon Executive Leadership Team, Directors and Regional General Managers.
Qualifications & Education
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Business, or related field; Masters preferred
- 10+ years of finance experience, including experience working in a US company with international operations
- 5+ years of experience with financial planning & analysis (process, tactical)
- 5+ years of experience with strategic, long-range business planning
- 3+ years of experience as a Senior Accountant and/or Financial Analyst in the retail, eCommerce (DTD), and/or wholesale sector; Financial accounting background in manufacturing environment preferred
- Experience with Full Circle ERP System (i.e., Navision, Oracle, Great Plains), and inventory costing and control
Knowledge and Skills/Critical Success Factors
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative skills, including advanced financial modeling, market research, strategic, valuation, and financial analysis, etc.
- Organized and efficient, with strong time management and prioritization skills.
- Expert on computer software applications (Windows, MS Office-Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint) plus facility to learn new software packages.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with an ability to deconstruct and present complex issues in a simple and easy to understand manner, tailoring communications and presentations to the audience
- Robust Excel skills, with ability to create pivot tables, develop visually compelling graphs and charts, and utilize complex formulas
- Superior financial, analytical and decision-making skills with established understanding of business implication of decisions and ability to draw quick and accurate conclusions on opportunities; an ability to act even with imperfect information.
- Strong organizational skills to work independently and to prioritize a heavy workload under the pressure of competing assignments
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to quickly build trust and rapport with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels of the organization. Capable of effectively partnering with cross-functional teams to coordinate activities and accomplish goals. Proven ability to identify solutions to pain points
- Team player, positive attitude and ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Solution-oriented and comfortable taking initiative
Position based in Carlsbad, California, USA. Primarily on-site presence, with some remote work.
Are you ready to join the Nixon Team! Forward resumes to email@example.com and include Director of Financial Reporting in the subject line. Thank You!
Due to the volume of resumes, we cannot respond to everyone personally, but we do thank you for your interest and for reaching out to Nixon.